Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My HOT Wheels - “Babes”

When my mom and I first got away from the the grasp of the evil step-father.  I had one chance during the moving to get my licence.  If I were to fail, I would have to wait a while before the opportunity would present itself again.  Getting my licence for me was everything.  It’s a step in the direction of independence, in my eyes, security and safety, only that is another story.
Between successfully getting my licence on the first shot and getting my bike stolen; I knew that my next step was to get a car.  For reasons, I’m not quite sure of anymore, I had it in my head that I wanted my 1st car to be brand spanking new.  After much talk and chatter,  I realized that getting a much older car was the route needed to be taken, to not only to gain more experience on the road but to help me get to know certain things they don’t teach you when you’re learning to drive.  If you are asking, “What’s that?”  My answer to you is; Learning how to take care of the vehicle your learnt to drive. This is to help you not get screwed at the mechanics.  Again, that’s another blog all to it’s own.  I will write up in the future.
 
It was then I believe she picked me more than I picked her.  My landlord's daughter was selling her 1996, Ford Taurus GL.  They parked her in front of my kitchen window where I stared at her day after day.  My landlord first approached my mom about the car.  I believe it was her idea in the first place.  When my mom and I had finished a long discussion about whether we should buy her or not, it was then that I realized that she was going to be mine.  A few days later, she was ours.
To many she is an old bag of clunk.   I didn't care cause she was mine.  I was so proud of her.  She was one of the family.  I named her, "Babes".
She gave us so much. many funny memories and also helped us out as always.  In loving memory of her, I plan on making her a mini video of her. She helps me stay focus and keeps me distressed. The only thing she was missing was a CD player.  Which I would eventually solve by purchasing an FM Transmitter.
I never took my car for granted. She is my release to staying focus.  I found out that when things aren't stable in my life, she helps me thru it.  She is my release for stressed.  This is was happens; something doesn’t go my way or something's wrong; I would get into my car, preferably at night, turn up the upbeat music and drive ... and then I would reach cloud 9.  It’s my heaven on earth. I would come back to a neutral state that would enable me to deal with whatever.  From a friend who a similar release technique recommends if I can't do it during the night, that is can be done during the day.  When going to my cloud 9 during the day, I would have to be on open country road and it helps.
With my car's current problems, I have not been able to do “release” that I normally do.  So at the moment, I have to use my back up which is loud music and dancing and singing, which living in an apartment I do have to be careful the hours I choose to do this.
Within the next month, I must make a very important and vital decision.  I must choose to get rid of my Babes and cut my losses with her. Which makes me sad.  Or keep her.  :o)
After writing this blog the choice should be obvious .. “KEEP HER, TARA!”  There is much I must consider.  She has some repairs that need to be done.  I'm must admit, I am no mechanic, I have to evaluated the situation properly.  I have to repair the fan belt, get an oil change, have the winter tires put on (By Dec 15th, the law), a tune up and there is something else wrong, I think it's the alternator but it could be a mess of things.
I currently have no job.  I do have a temporary source of income.  It's limited to paying the necessities, until I get a job.  I don't know when that will be.  I do need a back up plan.  I always like having a back up plan.  My back up is by a certain date if I have no job; say goodbye to my Babes.
Your question maybe, "Tara, why can't you have your car and a job?"  There are a few extra thing I need to consider.  The registration is due on my vehicle this November. I’ll not going to be able to pay it on my current temporary income.  I’m so desperate for a job and keeping my car, I’m applying for general aid jobs and cashier instead of just PAB work. Due to a few financial things that have happened.  I have to be careful where I apply.  It can’t be too far away until I get my first pay which should be in a few days.  With Christmas coming up, I have to take that into consideration as well.
It is a big downer but I have to make a choice.  It will put my life on hold for a while since everything I do is a least a 30min drive from me.  I do pray that I can keep my baby girl. 
On the plus side, I know that if I do have to come with terms on things.  I know I love having a car.  It would only be a matter of time before I get another one.  The aim would be for the spring. The downfall for that scenario is the people on my street aren't the most careful people in the world.  Most of the scraps and scratches on my baby girl are due to them.  There are 2 of them that are my fault completely and then one (that I know of) is a retaliation of something I did to someone else.
Which is completely stupid.  This is what happened.  There was this lady living on the 3rd floor.  I live in the basement.  At the time, the apartment between us was empty.  I was working the night shift and I was trying to sleep during the day.  She has this son that had a burst of energy.  We suggested that she take her son to the park (she was on Final Financial Assistant, Welfare).  It basically sounded like she was playing fetch with her son.  You'd hear this loud plunk and then a whole bunch of running.  What was worst is it sounded as though she living above us. To make the story short, we got her kicked out after many warnings.  She wasn't impressed and thought she she take it out on my car.
In normal situation I would have been very hurt.  With her being an older model car, Babes gives me the sense of not needing to worrying about that.  Also, I already had a moment that hit hard.  I had my car for about 3 weeks or less.  I parked my car at my job downtown and was working the night shift.  On my breaks, I would walk to go sit in my car. As I put the key in my car,  I noticed my car and 4 other cars driver side mirrors were purposely broken off.  It was done by drunk people, I know this, being the side mirror was parked safely on facing the sidewalk.  I guess it wasn’t that safe.  That was my break down and I wouldn't let that feeling of hurt happen again. I took it so purposely like people have nothing better to do then use their own money to repair thing on a car that isn’t even their fault.  When the chick from upstairs keyed my car, I shrugged it off and got into the car and drove off.
Getting a newer car (still 2nd hand) but closer to the 2009 as possible, I worry about the people scratching my newer vehicle which it hurt.  It will cost money since I haven't repaired any of the body damage on my Babes.  I didn't think it was that worth it seeing the lack of care on the street I work on. It would cost a fortune.  With a newer vehicle, I just may have to make those investments to get my car to stay nice looking.
With all that said, I'm on the fence about my car.  Regardless whether I get rid of her or not, I still plan on getting another vehicle.  Only the newest addition to the family will be parked near a friend in about 20 minutes drive from where we live (if we have 2 cars).  With one car, I’m still not sure what I’m going to do about that.  Her name will be "Be-belle," and I'm hoping it will be an SUV BMW X5 hopefully blue. She will have a CD player (hopefully MP3 compatible) and a sunroof or a moon roof. 
Still seeking a date to which I will have to follow thru with my car decision, I’m still hoping I can keep my Babes.  Keeping my fingers crossed, praying and trying to stay positive about it.  Regardless, this did feel like a good release.  Thank you for reading.


All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment